September 25, 2023
EP140 System Hardening at Google Scale: New Challenges, New Solutions
View more episodes
- What is different about system hardening today vs 20 years ago?
- Also, what is special about hardening systems at Google massive scale?
- Can I just apply CIS templates and be done with it?
- Part of hardening has to be following up with developers after they have un-hardened things – how do we operationalize that at scale without getting too much in the way of productivity?
- A part of hardening has got to be responding to new regulation and compliance regimes, how do you incorporate new controls and stay responsive to the changing world around us?
- Are there cases where we have taken lessons from hardening at scale and converted those into product improvements?
- What metrics do you track to keep your teams moving, and what metrics do your leads look at to understand how you’re doing? [Spoiler: the answer here is VERY fun!]